Can diabetes, fun, and adventure all go together?
Yes, yes, and yes!
I am working on an adventure (and fun) weekend for diabetic adults – type 1 and type 2. There are no prerequisites. Just a time to learn, meet, bond, grow, and explore.
So what does all this mean? It means, that diabetics are a unique group of people. Unique being positive, courageous, persevering, and the list goes on. We may have to give insulin or take oral medications, test our bloodsugar, count carbs, monitor exercise and activities more closely, but we can live a very fulfilling and adventurous life. We can do anything.
I am envisioning the following and would love your feedback. This is just my thoughts. Once I get feedback from folks, a final itinerary will be posted:
– 3 day weekend in June (third weekend in June – Friday 3 pm – Sunday 3 pm)
– Midwest (Louisville, KY perhaps – centrally located, airport and hotels are reasonable)
– will get group rate at a hotel
– cost is still to be determined. what would you be willing to pay?
– will be reaching out to the American Diabetes Association, pharmaceutical companies, endocrinologists, etc to help fund this event
ACTIVITIES (not necessarily in this order). Would love feedback and ideas:
1. Sign in and meet and greet activities. Mixers.
2. Nia yoga at local studio
3. Stretching as a group and then run, walk or bootcamp each morning
4. Exploring how you live with diabetes. Defining what changes you want to make. Ways to make the changes.
5. Meditation class. Dealing with the challenges/stress of diabetes.
6. Panel discussion on living with diabetes from various perspectives (diabetics, doctors, American Diabetes Association, etc)
7. Diabetic goals that you want to accomplish. Tools for accomplishing them.
8. Taking risks with diabetes. Hear from diabetic folks doing some pretty extreme things. How do they do it? How can you take calculated risks or plan for new adventures? What steps do you need to take?
9. Mega Zips – ziplines and challenge bridges in the megacaverns.
10. Culinary adventure.
11. And some surprise adventures and challenges…
My hope is that we will all walk away with some new insight on living with diabetes. Being able to define some goals for ourselves and having the tools to achieve them. All while meeting some amazing people and trying some fun and new activities.
Please let me know if you would be interested in such a weekend. More to follow soon…